Have you always wanted to contribute to a worthy cause, but weren’t sure of the best way? It’s not uncommon to have the desire to be charitable even though you lack the approach. And because of that, it just ends up not happening.
By making a few adjustments to your everyday life, you’ll develop the know-how to consistently support those in need.
Consider making these key changes in support of charity:
1. Dedicate a portion of your pay check. Starting this week, take out a portion of your pay check and donate it to a worthy cause. In the same way you budget for utilities, groceries, and entertainment, you can start to do the same for charity.
* It’s hard at first because you may not view charity as a necessity. But consider how much more fortunate you are than others. Then, you’ll realize how important it really is.
* Decide beforehand where to donate the money. Is there a Salvation Army nearby? What about the Red Cross?
* Make a mental note of how this added “expense” impacts your life. Is it a major financial strain? Or are you just forced to be a little creative with what’s left?
2. Share your meal portions. Every day this week that you go out to lunch, ask them to split your meal into two containers. Eat only one portion and give the other one to a homeless person. You may get hungry a little more quickly, but you’ll have the pleasure of helping someone.
* Plan your lunch spots in advance so you’re able to quickly identify someone in need.
* Order what you normally do. Avoid spending less because you know you won’t be consuming all of it yourself.
* Whenever possible, encourage your peers to also help those in need.
3. Withhold something from yourself. Is there anything in your life you feel you can’t live without? Is it a food item? Or is it cable TV? Identify one thing and withhold it from yourself for 2 weeks. You’ll feel withdrawal symptoms, but it’ll encourage you to better appreciate the circumstances of others.
* Resist the urge to reinstate whatever it is and instead contribute that money to charity.
* It’s easy to take money out of your pocket and give it away. However, the aim is to really understand what needy people are experiencing.
* This approach helps you to not take your blessings for granted.
4. Recognize those in need. As you go about your daily tasks, recognize those in need. Pay active attention to the people you pass on the street. Listen intently to the charity ads on the radio. Check out the astonishing statistics.
* Being in tune with the magnitude of hardship can be life-changing. In some cases, it can cause you to become a completely different person.
* Count the number of homeless people you see en route to work. Determine how much it would cost to feed them per day. Then, try to get sponsors and feed the homeless people in your area.
Once your level of consciousness is heightened, you’ll automatically be able to embrace your charitable side. In no time at all, you’ll realize the extent of need and develop the passion for fulfilling those needs. Expect your life to be changed instantly!